Oh, this casserole! It’s on my MVP list of keto dinners that the entire family loves, particularly on cold winter evenings. For anyone who adores the marriage of chicken and cheese, it’s a match made in heaven, with tiny broccoli florets to help balance the rich, creaminess of the dish.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3 lbs)
- 3 medium heads broccoli, cut into 1" to 1 1/2" florets (approx. 9 cups of raw, cut broccoli)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup block cream cheese, (8 oz package) softened
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (8 oz bag), divided (1 1/2 cups + 1/2 cup for topping)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, (8 oz bag) divided, (1 1/2 cups + 1/2 cup for topping)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon powder (can substitute with one crushed bouillon cube)
- 1/2 cup hot water
- Place chicken breasts in a large pot and pour in enough water to cover the breasts. Salt the water. Place over medium/high heat, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until no longer pink, about 40 minutes. Allow chicken to cool, then shred it into small pieces. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9 inch baking dish with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
- Add a few pinches of salt to the broccoli florets and steam until crisp-tender using your favorite method. Once cooked, drain to remove excess moisture, set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, blend sour cream, softened cream cheese, mayonnaise, egg, and spices (salt through pepper) until thoroughly combined. Dissolve bouillon in 1/2 cup of hot water and beat into the mixture. Now add 1 1/2 cups each cheddar and mozzarella, mix well. Lastly, add the shredded chicken, stir to combine.
- Spread about 1/4 of the chicken mixture into an even layer on the bottom of your greased baking dish. Make a second layer using the broccoli, followed by the rest of the chicken mixture. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.